by Weedy Tan on May 24, 2014
I recently bought a brand new Toshiba L50 15.6″ notebook computer with Windows 8.1 OS, i5-4200M CPU, 8 GB RAM, and 1 TB hard disk after my Asus netbook Windows 7 was getting too old and slow.
Everything went smoothly and I was happy with its performance. I then decided to install the open source CAT tool OmegaT as this is primarily the reason why I bought this computer. OmegaT is a Computer-Aided Translation tool very useful for translators. I used it for my Chinese to English translation work.
The installation went smoothly and it installed at the same time the Java JRE which comes with the OmegaT package I chose. I was expecting everything would be like my previous experience where things simply fall into place without any hiccups.
No. I was wrong!
I opened OmegaT and changed some of the initial settings to suit my purpose. I tried it for a while and decided to close the program. Then suddenly the warnings “Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working” and “Google Pinyin has encountered a problem” appeared.
This baffled me as I have never encountered this before. I googled the internet and couldn’t come up with a solution. I took all measures including installing and uninstalling 64 and 32 bit Java JRE as well as the OmegaT as per the advice in the OmegaT Yahoo support forum but no dice.
I made changes to my Windows 8.1 language settings as I tried to solve the Google Pinyin Chinese input problem which eventually lead to my losing the Traditional Chinese language package as I installed the Simplified Chinese language package. However, this is another story and I will write more about this in another blog while I am presently trying to find a solution to solve this problem. (Edit: My blog regarding Hanyu Pinyin input method is here: https://weedytan.wordpress.com/2014/05/26/hanyu-pinyin/)
Meantime, back to “Java stopped working”.
I kept googling the internet to find a solution and all seems to come to a dead end. Finally, I came across an article that says “stopping your anti-virus from scanning the Java will solve the problem”. Not believing that Java is the problem or even a virus, I gave it a try.
It solved both the problems of “Java stopped working” and “Google Pinyin encountered a problem”. My OmegaT now works beautifully like before without the annoying “Java stopped working” warning when I exit OmegaT.
Hold on! I spoke too soon.
It goes well without any problem if I exit OmegaT while using any other language input methods like English (US keyboard), Microsoft Pinyin, or Microsoft Bopomofo except Google Pinyin. Google Pinyin is a language input method where you can use the US keyboard layout to input Chinese characters using the Hanyu Pinyin. Pinyin (Chinese: 拼音), formally Hanyu Pinyin (漢語拼音), is the official phonetic system for transcribing the Mandarin pronunciations of Chinese characters into the Latin alphabet in China, Taiwan, and Singapore. It is often used to teach Standard Chinese and spell Chinese names in foreign publications and may be used as an input method to enter Chinese characters into computers.
And so, it seems the problem is with Google Pinyin. In other words, Google Pinyin is not compatible with the Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit program. I have seen various reports of this problem on the internet but it doesn’t seem to have been solved by Google as of this writing.
This was confirmed when I do not use the Google Pinyin. I took out the exceptions in my antivirus program that tells it to stop scanning the Java folder and tried using the OmegaT program again.
OmegaT now works as expected without the annoying warnings “Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working” and “Google Pinyin has encountered a problem” as long as I do not use Google Pinyin.
In a separate blog, I will write how I overcome the problem of Google Pinyin’s conflict with the Microsoft Window’s 64-bit program.